Yebo - Joey and the Deltones



In a way, this song kind of represents me at my best. It is a snapshot of me at my most idealistic, dreamy, and hopeful.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Models in Advertising - an Acute/Not-so-cute Observation

I suppose it's safe to say that the standard of beauty in the US is pretty high. I would venture to say that most of you would agree - based on the models seen on giant billboards throughout NYC, the super models that grace magazine covers from Glamour, to Cosmopolitan, Vogue, Maxim, and from the plethora of drool-worthy pages in the Victoria's Secret catalog that comes out every so often.

It has been a bit strange therefore, coming from an environment dominated by this sort of idea of beauty, to South Africa, where, in advertising, the standard of beauty is in my opinion... well.... lower.

I have been continuously surprised by the choice of models used for various magazine covers and billboards here. In my own opinion, they are somewhat.... hmmm... how do I say.... lacking? In attractiveness? It's been very sad. I mean, even the babies used on advertisements to sell baby products at certain baby stores are lacking a significant amount of "cuteness" that one would think comes automatic with being under 2 years of age. I have found this to be rather odd. (For previous musings on babies and cuteness, please see last year's entry on the subject here.)

Now, I am not saying that Americans are better looking that South Africans. I am simply pointing out that it seems the public in each country has different standards of beauty in some respects.

For an example of a common comparison between the types of models publications in the US chooses to use, and the models many SA publications choose to use, I have included this picture below to help illustrate. These two magazines were found side by side on the same rack in one grocery store.


Now, maybe it's just me, but I think, personally, I would 99.99999% of the time buy the magazine with Eva Longoria on the cover, over the mag with Olga the tubby biker chick showing some flab. But then again, I'm not a biker. But I mean, come on... she's still got her biker gloves on.

Really? Biker gloves?

I have also had a good laugh at many of the adverts I have come across such as this one, that I couldn't help but photograph to keep a reminder of...


And lastly, I often wonder if some advertisements are actually meant to detract people from buying the product in question. This example should illustrate my point.


Mmm... Very attractive.

Anyway, you can decide whether you are now more or less likely to buy Maria's boerewors.

As for myself, I'd rather go to the above mentioned Juice bar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or maybe our standards in America are really F&^ked up. Eva may be skinny, but how many fingers did she have to put down her throat to look like that?

Real women have curves. Eva has a body like a 14 year old boy - no hips, no ass. But I guess we all have our preferences in body types.

Joey Cardella said...

My guess, is approximately 1254 fingers total over the last number of years. So yes. I agree. Eva = way too skinny. For the record, I don't really like her much at all, she just happened to be the face on the magazine next to... well... "Olga".

Myself, I prefer more real women... that have, as you said, curves. Not skin and bones.

Oh, and definitely not 14 year old boys....

Megan C, Ph.D. said...

Honestly
this phenomenon of "keepin' it real" in advertisement is actually one of my very favorite things about South Africa.

So! For what it is worth (and it is worth a lot, because I am extremely important), I say "rock the heck on, South African advertising companies!"


God, Joey. I can't believe how SHALLOW AND HORRIBLE you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)