Yebo - Joey and the Deltones



In a way, this song kind of represents me at my best. It is a snapshot of me at my most idealistic, dreamy, and hopeful.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

One Among Many


This entry will be short. It is merely meant to put a face to the stories in my previous entries.


I found out a few days ago, that Jabu, whose real name was Zodwa, passed away on Sunday. She was 21 years old.


She leaves behind two children, aged 5 and 1 years, a foster family who she grew up with, and one asshole "boyfriend".


Though this is just one more death among the many thousands per year in South Africa because of HIV/AIDS, it has certainly made the disease much more real and personal for me.


I won't pretend to have any lessons to teach or claim I have learned from this. Most likely, my thoughts and feelings are running along the same vein as yours.


I will say that Zodwa's death shocked me because I didn't expect it to happen so soon. We don't know exactly what her last days were like, if she was looked after, or if she was neglected and left to wither away by herself. The speed at which she had gone downhill suggets the latter.


This whole episode has made me understand on another level, how helpless we can feel trying to battle this epidemic - however, in the same breath, I can't find any justification for not continuing the fight. We are fighting what sometimes seems to be a losing battle, but only because people we are targetting, to a large degree (though certainly not all), decide their own fate. They are for the most part, armed with the knowledge to prevent themselves from getting infected, and if they are lucky, have support systems to help them cope and live with the disease.


But as I've said before, the choices people make are wholly up to themselves. Until people's behaviour and mindset changes towards HIV/AIDS, until they view their lives as worth living and until they are able to view their future in a positive light, I fear we will continue to fight an uphill battle, and risk having things get worse.


In the meantime, we'll just keep doing what we're doing, in hopes that our efforts do eventually help turn the tide against this disease. Though I think what we really need is to get some fresh ideas about how to go about it all.


If you do feel up for it, do what you can, where you are. We could all use the help.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks for the update. I think of you guys often and the work you do. You have a gift of humor, that is one key for a happy life. Megan's MOM, MOM Clapp

Anonymous said...

Stories like this one make me completely, totally, utterly in awe of the care workers who walk through the village every day to care for patients like Zodwa. They motivate me to do what I do, even if mine is a relatively small contribution. Thanks for sharing Zodwa's story, Joey.

Love,
Brooke